Love knows no borders. That’s excellent news if you’re an expat looking for places to visit on Valentine’s Day 2019. One of the perks expat life is the opportunity to travel. This Valentine’s Day, discover (or rediscover) the joys of spending time with your loved one while you discover somewhere new.
Romantic ideas for expats and their partners
- If you’re a local and your partner is an expat, why not take them to your favourite secret spot? You have the advantage of knowing all the places that tourists and active Googlers don’t. Pick the timing, place, and a few personal touches to treat your romantic other to a loving local experience.
- If you and your partner are both expats, Valentine’s Day is the perfect chance to explore the wider region. Be spontaneous and pick somewhere random on the map. Or pull the Tourist card! Now’s your chance to do something kitschy and get away with it.
- If you’re an expat and your partner’s local, you could either pack your bags for travel or stay at home. Show your local lover you’ve been paying attention by taking them to their favourite spot. Or pick somewhere you know they’ve been wanting to go but never have. Dating an expat is their perfect excuse for a one-night getaway.
- If you both want a change of scene, why not travel further afield? Juggle your annual leave or contracts and finagle a long long-weekend. Get your passport out and spend some time together exploring a new country.
- Neither of you are expats. Yet. If there’s somewhere you’re thinking of moving to, why not head there to explore the region? Or if you’re not planning to move abroad, visit somewhere you’ve always wanted to go. At the very least, plan a holiday and hand your partner a romantic itinerary for use later in the year.
Romantic places for expats
Sure, it’ll depend where you’re – but we’ve suggested a few lesser-known romantic places you might like to head to for Valentine’s Day.
- Bellagio, Italy
- The Peak Garden, Hong Kong
- St John’s Island, Singapore
- Portree, Scotland
- Bruges, Belgium
- Jishu Shrine, Japan
- Esplanade Roof Garden, Singapore
- Loire Valley, France
- Nam Sang Wai Wetlands, Hong Kong
- Blue Cave, Vanuatu